May 2018 US Expansion Planning Events
23-25 May 2018
As part of our continuing efforts to support and advise UK and European entrepreneurs on their US expansions plans, we are again participating with the US Commercial Service and SelectUSA on a series of events during May in the UK.
With close language, cultural and political ties, the relationship between the UK and US offers huge potential for businesses on both sides of the Atlantic. The US is a sophisticated, diverse and highly competitive market with complex tax regulations. It requires careful planning to gain market entry or develop your existing US marketing strategy.
At a time of economic change which is creating new opportunities, you may ask yourself:
- Are you a successful exporter looking to do more business in the US?
- Are you currently trading with the US and not sure how to expand?
- Are you considering the US but not sure where to start?
- Do you want advice on how to invest, partner or locate in the US?
- Do you want to find out what business opportunities the US has to offer?
- Are you seeking advice on taxation, immigration and legal matters?
Our corporate team – Nora Rothrock, Group Managing Director; Bradley Albin, International Corporate Tax Director; and David M. Daley, Private Client Tax Director – will be participating at two of the three SelectUSA events taking place on 23 – 25 May and will be on hand to answer your US tax questions.
Details of the three May events are below.
SelectUSA US Trade & Investment Growth Seminar
Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 9-12:30, Bristol
Venue: Bristol Marriott Hotel, City Centre, 2 Lower Castle St, Bristol BS1 3AD
Book your place for Bristol today.
SelectUSA, in association with the Department for International Trade, is holding a seminar bringing together experts for advice and practical information on expansion and presence in the US marketplace, 23rd of May, in Bristol. During the seminar, they’ll be exploring answers to:
- How do current economic uncertainties impact the future US-UK transatlantic relationship, and what does this mean for companies in South West England?
- Why, when and how should companies consider moving from an export to an investment strategy?
- How do businesses engage with US states, cities and regions to grow their US network and presence?
- What are the practical legal, tax, immigration and commercial requirements for doing business in the US?
- United States Embassy London – US Commercial Service
- Council of American States in Europe (CASE)
- Department of International Trade – South West
- Nora Rothrock & Bradley Albin, US Tax & Financial Services
- John Strassberg, US Attorney at law & UK Solicitor
USA Market Entry Seminar
Thursday, 24 May, 2-18, 8am-12pm, Birmingham
Venue: Clayton Hotel, Birmingham
Book your place for Birmingham today
The British American Business Council in the Midlands (BABC), in conjunction with SelectUSA invite you to attend a special event. This event aims to demonstrate that expansion into the US is still both feasible and profitable in the current economic climate
Understanding the US Market
The panel will discuss factors such as revenue growth, the need to meet customer expectations, pipeline contracts, UK and US economic conditions, US tax reform and tax and financial efficiencies as measures to inform expansion decisions.
Developing your US market entry strategy – How do you do it?
Panelists will discuss legal, tax, accounting and insurance issues; understanding federal state support; choosing the right location; banking; and how to recruit and build the right US team.
Following the seminar, there will also be opportunities to book one-to-one meetings with state representatives to discuss in further detail how they can assist your business.
SelectUSA US Trade & Investment Growth Seminar
Friday, 25 May 2018, London, 09:00-14:30
Venue: US Embassy London, 33 Nine Elms Lane, London
Book your place for London today.
In a climate of globalization and change, business leaders are forced to re-examine their international trade and investment strategies. We’re joining forces with US Commercial Service/SelectUSA at their US Trade & Investment Growth Seminar, 25th of May in London.
This seminar will discuss potential opportunities for companies in London and the South East to begin or to expand business in the United States.
- In a time when trade and economic relationships are in a state of recalibration,
why should UK companies review their US growth strategies?
- What indicators determine when they should make the US investment leap?
- What are the routes to US market and what are the logistics and strategy
involved in building a successful US operation?
- US Commercial Services | SelectUSA
- US Embassy London | Consular Section
- Department for International Trade
- Council of American States in Europe (C.A.S.E)
- Jonathan Strassberg | US Legal Landscape
- Ganguin Samartin | US Immigration
- Nora Rothrock & David M. Daley, US Tax & Financial Services | US Taxation
If you have any questions, please contact Joni Trulock on +44 20 7357 8220 or email Joni.
SelectUSA is the United States government program to promote and facilitate business investment in the US. The discussion will bring together expert panelists, including our Private Client Tax Director, Dave Daley, to discuss and share practical information for businesses that are interested in or are currently exporting to the US, as well as existing exporters interested in setting up a presence in the vast US marketplace.
Did you Know?
Fact SevenThanks to FATCA banks must disclose their American account holders to the IRS or local tax authority.
Fact SixThe IRS is actively looking for non compliant US persons.
Fact FiveIt takes an average of 16 hours to do IRS Form 1040.
Fact FourThere are over 500 IRS tax forms.
Fact ThreeSince 1916, illegal income has been taxable.
Fact TwoUS persons must file tax returns no matter where they live and work.
Text One7 million Americans abroad
only 500,000 compliant